Title: cc69_00274 Hinxton Hall: interior, dining room with wallpaintings | Credit: Historic England Archive

Renovating the Pompeiian Room

Photograph

‘The wall paintings were first discovered in December 1954 when the Hall passed into the hands of TIRL.

We can only speculate as to why the wall paintings had been covered in the first place, but the most likely reason is the change in fashion and taste towards the end of the nineteenth century.

When the paintings were revealed, instead of being restored to their former glory, they were covered up again with a purple flock wallpaper leaving two small aluminium openings for visitors to catch a glimpse of the murals. When Tube Investment purchased the estate, the Hall and surrounding outbuildings had not been listed, therefore restrictions regarding restorations were not in place. The Hall received its grade II* listed status on the 22 November 1967.’

РThe Pompeian Room at Hinxton Hall: a corner of Pompeii that is forever England by Giorgio Bowler